Having recently moved to Boston and become a participant in "adult life," I've been doing a lot more cooking for myself than I ever have in the past. Even though I lived in houses with kitchens while I was in college, I always had either partial meal plan or a nearby underclassmen that could provide my meals when I was on-the-go.
About a week ago, I had a craving for a breakfast burrito! So like the grown-ass woman I am, I drove to my local Trader Joes to stock up on the supplies to make my own burrito. While my burrito folding (rolling?) technique is not gorgeous, it still gets the job done. And we all know that even when things look like they're falling apart, it's what's on the inside that matters. Too much of a stretch for the inspirational metaphor? Sorry, I've been feeling my Karamo from Queer Eye vibes lately.
Anyway, I've been really excited about how easy it is to put together a yummy breakfast burrito! For my go-to recipe, read on!
Ingredients (and commentary)
- 1 tortilla (larger tortillas make rolling (folding?) the burrito easier)
- As much shredded cheese as your heart desires (or, when you can't be bothered to go to the store, torn up sliced cheese)
- 2 eggs (my burrito usually reaches capacity at two eggs, if you want more room for toppings maybe only go for one)
- Frozen hash browns
- Hot sauce (my hot sauce of choice is the Trader Joes Habanero Sauce)
- Other topping ideas: avocado, misc. breakfast meats, anything you could ever imagine!
- Frying pan/skillet
- Before heating up the stove, lay out your tortilla and sprinkle as much cheese as you want in the middle.
- (optional) Put cheesy tortilla in the microwave for a few seconds so the cheese gets a little melty.
- Heat up a bit of butter in the saucepan and then add eggs.
- Scramble those eggs up!
- Once the eggs are cooked, put them on the burrito.
- Heat up a few tablespoons of butter in the pan and then add hash browns.
- Cook 'em till they're crispy and delicious!
- Once the potatoes are done, add them on top of the eggs.
- Add any other toppings and finish with hot sauce.
- Attempt to fold (roll?) the burrito.
- Enjoy yummy burrito goodness!
A breakfast burrito is an inexpensive, easy, and healthy breakfast that I just can't get enough of!